National Healthy Skin Month each November is sponsored by the American Academy of Dermatology.
You may not realize it, but your skin reveals a lot about your overall health.
This month makes you aware of what it takes to keep your skin healthy as well as understanding how to treat and prevent common skin problems.
Our fearless leader Dr. Maryann Mikhail, MD shares her skin care tips to maintaining healthy skin!
1. Determine your skin type and start a regimen that’s tailored for you. Skin is not a “one size fits all” organ. In order for you to achieve the healthiest skin you can have, you need to get on a customized treatment plan with your dermatologist.
2. Sun exposure from high energy visible light that comes off of screens like your phone actually age your skin and cause hyperpigmentation. Protect yourself with a tinted mineral sunscreen that contains iron oxides.
3. Don’t forget to reapply sunscreen that’s SPF30 or higher every 2 hours when you’re outside. You need about a teaspoon amount for your face and a shot glass amount for your body.
4. Have a full body skin examination by a dermatologist at least once a year.
5. Check your skin for new/suspicious moles and growths once a month.
6. Use a silk pillowcase and sleep on your back when possible. Silk pillowcases are better for your hair and sleep lines.
The skin has vital job functions like protecting against trauma, regulating body temperature, keeping crucial nutrients in the body, and helping to prevent dangerous substances from entering the body.
It’s only fitting it should have a month that promotes how to keep it healthy, right?
It’s important to remember, even with the best skincare routine, some issues can persist. If you notice spots that are concerning or if your skin issues have not gone away or have worsened, it’s time to get help.
Seeing a dermatologist ensures you are utilizing a health provider specializing in skin conditions to help you get the treatment you need.
For appointments with Dr. Maryann Mikhail at Waverly DermSpa in Fort Lauderdale, FL, please call our office at 954-666-3736! We accept most insurances.